Looking to add a pitbull into your family? Below there are 5 places you can adopt a pitbull in St. Cloud MN.
Did you know there isn’t actually a breed called a pitbull?
Pitbull is a term that get put upon bully style dogs and can include the terriers – American pit bull terrier and American Staffordshire terrier – along with American bulldogs, boxers, Staffordshire bull terriers, cane corsos and other blocky headed bully type dogs. Which makes adopting a “pitbull” a bit more of a variable as they may be full American pit bull terrier, mixed with assorted other dogs or not even have a drop of bully breed within them!
Variables aside, if you’re adopting a dog coined a pitbull, who has the look of a bully breed there are somethings you will need to know:
- They can be total buttheads and you may not click right off the bat, but once you do you’ll be besties
- They are smooshy, loveable, great snugglers, snore, and love to lounge as much as hike in the woods
- They can have a high prey drive – cat friends need slow intros
- Pitbulls can be dog reactive or dog aggressive which means no playdates & dog parks, proactive walks, no new dogs to the household
- There is a ton of stigma around them. People will move out of your way when you’re walking, put space between themselves and your pitbull and lift or move children out of range of your pitbull.
And the stigma holds throughout conversations with people. There is the belief that a pitbull will just one day snap and attack its owners (nope), that their jaws lock (also nope, but they do have a strong bite), their brains swell and it makes them go crazy (nope) and it’s unsafe to get a pitbull from a shelter or rescue because you don’t know their history (it’s totally safe to adopt a pittie).
As in adopting any dog, it will take time to get to know your pitbull and his or her personality.
Are you ready to adopt a pittie?
Here are 5 places you can adopt a pitbull in the St. Cloud MN area:
- Tri-County Humane Society
– In St. Cloud – now in a brand new shelter! They TONS of homes for pitties and many other dogs and cats every year!
– See the available adoptable dogs
- Ruff Start Rescue
– based in Princeton, they are a foster rescue with each dog living with a foster family until they find a forever home
– See the available dogs
- MN Pitbull
– foster based rescue focusing on rehoming pitbulls and bully breeds, and helping other breeds too
– see all the available dogs
- Save A Bull MN
– based in Minneapolis, they focus on finding forever homes for pitties and bully breeds
– here are their adoptable dogs
- Underdog Rescue
– a foster based rescue who help not only pitties find new homes but all breeds
– see their available pups here
Good luck finding your next pitbull family member!
Next pop over to Angela Schneider of Big White Dog Photography in Spokane, WA, and the specially abled rescue dogs of Idaho. to learn about rescue dogs in Idaho! Make it around the blog ring to see all the rescue dogs!